Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:12:14 -0700

You can probably infer his position on free software
if you begin by searching for the complete source
code for Tesla cars.

-t

On 2022-04-27 17:25, Akira Urushibata wrote:
I have seen the discussion here started by our friend Thomas Lord
titled "thank you elon musk."

I decided to start a new thread to discuss the issue from a different
dimension.

I have a question for free software supporters here:
What is Elon Musk's position regarding free software?
Has he made any notable statements which give us some idea?

---

Elon Musk considers himself a supporter of "free speech."  He believes
that Twitter does not respect free speech enough and desires to change
that.  Experts point out that this is easier said than done; numerous
articles have appeared in recent days examining realistic implications.

When considering free speech the words of George Orwell come to mind:

 "Freedom of thought is the freedom to say that two and two make four.
  That granted, all else follows."

Free software means you have the freedom to share good a program which
add things correctly and you also have to freedom to correct a program
which doesn't.  Such freedom implies the right to discuss in public
problems one encounters, which is of course, freedom of speech.

One must also consider the fact that free software provides vital
functions which make social media platforms such as Twitter
possible.  So if Elon Musk likes free speech, he should be a supporter
of free software.  I wonder whether he explicitly states so.