re: What search engine best at "Freedom-Respecting"?

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: re: What search engine best at "Freedom-Respecting"?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 13:05:06 -0500 (EST)

I found Duck Duck's results to be underwhelming, especially when doing things
like looking for technical documents on a product - DDG would return umpteen
places to BUY the product, but not manufacturer's websites, or manual pages,
etc...

I now use "Startpage" <https://www.startpage.com> which is based in the EU, so
under the GDPR for whatever good that does...  They claim that they don't log,
monitor, or track searches or users.  Supposedly what they do is pay Google to
use their engine / database on an anonymous basis (all the requests to Google
are marked as coming from Startpage, not you) and make their money by doing
adds (that are clearly marked as adds) based strictly on the search terms used,
which seems reasonable.  I believe they also have some 'premium' extra cost
services like VPN's, etc.

They do have some sort of javascript that is reported by NoScript, but I'm not
sure if it's proprietary or free...  (I haven't checked)

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>