Re: libtool .. [path to shared library] ...

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: libtool .. [path to shared library] ...
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:24:40 -0600

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:33:15AM +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> Albert Chin wrote:
> | Repost as the first try didn't garner a response.
> |
> | If I invoke libtool as so:
> |   $ libtool ... [path to shared library] ...
> | is libtool suppose to pass [path to shared library] to the final link
> | stage? It's ignoring anything on the command line that ends with
> | *$shrext.
>
> I can see no reason why it should.  Passing `-L[path] -l[basename]'
> will happily pick up a system .so library even if there is no
> associated .la file.  ~ A quick scan through ltmain.in doesn't
> reveal any code to deliberately ignore absolute library paths as far
> as I can see.  Looks like a bug to me :-(
>
> What exactly are you linking?

lftp 2.6.10 linking against the gettext libraries on HP-UX. Because
the author used $(INTLLIBS) instead of $(LTLIBINTL), he got the .sl
versions of the gettext libraries. I fixed it on the 1.5 branch but I
just hacked together a solution for now.

I'd send you a diff of my ltmain.in but savannah is still down :(

--
albert chin (address@hidden)