Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:42:57 -0700

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 11:23 +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> Now I'm wondering whether it would make sense to add a switch to libtool
> that makes it not install those two things, such as "-old-abi".

I have to support two of these library versions as 'current' for other
reasons, so applications need to be able to link against either libXaw7
or libXaw8 at build time, so I need two unversioned .so files...

You see, libXaw8 includes XPrint support, which is not universally loved
by the X community, so applications not interested in printing shoud
link against libXaw7 as libXaw8 is not present on most Linux systems.

Yes, there are probably too many constraints on the solution space.

-keith