Re: [Lightning] Stack register control?

From: Eli Barzilay
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Stack register control?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:44:44 -0400

On Sep 28, Sandro Magi wrote:

> Perhaps not, but other targets may be a concern. Interesting tidbit
> about maxing out register accesses; is this is related to a hardware
> limit on instruction level parallelism?
>
> In any case, LLVM and GNU Lightning seem like the only two viable
> options. While LLVM has quite a few advantages, including opimizers,
> register allocation, more code backends, etc., I'm not sure I can
> get the level of control over resources I need (such as GCing
> generated code). I believe the control I need is achievable in
> Lightning, with the added benefits that code generation is much
> faster and Lightning's small size is very cache-friendly.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Lightning's code generation
> speed and quality as compared to LLVM's?

We had an experience with both.  The two systems are not really
comparable.  LLVM is *huge*, and much more difficult to get into your
project.  But since it's a generic framework for compilers, you get
lots of advantages -- the most obvious is that you don't need to worry
as much about optimizations.  OTOH, Lightning is a simple native-code
generator, which is much easier to use, but it doesn't do more than
just that.  (BTW, IIRC GCing code was not a problem in LLVM.)

(Since it's off topic, feel free to mail me off list for more
details, if you're interested.)