Re: [Lightning] Porting GNU Smalltalk to lightning 2

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Porting GNU Smalltalk to lightning 2
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:01:05 +0200

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 12:20:36AM -0200, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:

>   I figured what was it, was a previous test. If I copy gst.im from another
> build (using lightning 1.x, on i586), then it works for simple commands.
> For example:

Yes. either when kernel/ is new or gst.im does not exist the bootstrap
is started. The "bootstrapException" means something went wrong during
the bootstrap, the question is more what went wrong. It looks like
something while CFuncs.st is being parsed (but even then things like
"Object subclass: MyClass [ | myMemberVariable | ]" will execute code
or "ExistingClass extend [ newOrReplaceMethod []]" will lead to some
state being removed.

You might have found it but "p _gst_show_backtrace(stderr)" will print a
smalltalk backtrace but in the case when the bootstrap exception takes
place it is not meaningful. The other thing I noticed is that gdb is
not able to unwind the jit framestack. So we don't know which method
was called? Is there an issue with the prologue that was generated?

holger