Re: PATCH: new types of arpeggio

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: PATCH: new types of arpeggio
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:28:10 +0100

(cc'd to the list, who might also be interested, and which might like a bit
more traffic!)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:55:44AM +0200, Jérémie Lumbroso wrote:

> CJ> As Lilypond didn't have this feature, I finally decided to write it
> CJ> myself! I've added support for arpeggios with arrows on the top or bottom
> CJ> to indicate their direction.
> In  my  book, arpeggios are signaled by a crossed stem, that
> indicates it's direction :
>
>    |/
>   /|
>  /o|
>   o|
>
> Are arrows a real conventionnal way to indicate it?

I don't know! I've never actually seen one on sheet music, but I asked this
list earlier this year, and two people replied saying they should be arrows..
I only wrote a
Actually I saw examples on the web from another music notation program:

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/software/cmn/cmn/cmn.html

which shows the arrow and the square bracket thing, and also

http://wsv.gmd.de/persons/icking/folia/Galvaoj.gif

> CJ> Also in this patch is the facility to add a
> CJ> square bracket to the left of a chord - I've seen this used in piano
> music
> CJ> to mean "don't do an arpeggio here".
> This  is  usually  meant  to  be,  when  you  only  want  to
> "arpeggio"  on  a  third, I do it by putting a ( on the left
> meaning I want it to go "up", or on the right to go "down" :

That's odd, I've never seen that before.  I've seen the square bracket in
Rachmaninov stuff (e.g. last page of the Prelude in C# minor) on huge spread
out chords. Also it's sometimes used to group together notes on different
staves which should be played by the same hand, but I haven't tested whether my
version can do this yet...

> CJ> It's the first time I've done anything like this (hacking free software),
> so
> CJ> I'd appreciate it if people tried this out to let me know what they think.
> I would like to, but on Windows, the current version is only
> 1.4.5 (what a drag...)

Um. I might patch on the latest stable and send it out again at some point.

cheers,
--
chris