Re: 1.4.7 building on cygwin

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 1.4.7 building on cygwin
Date: 22 Sep 2001 18:17:30 +0200

"Gerrit P. Haase" <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't like that part of the lily-build (install) on cygwin.
> /bin/sh ../.././stepmake/stepmake/../bin/install-sh -c -d /etc/postinstall
> /bin/sh ../.././stepmake/stepmake/../bin/install-sh -c -m 644
> ./out/post-gs.sh /etc/postinstall/

If you want, please fix it.  The only reason for this is that it
is fully automatic (this is really, really important, windows users
keep telling me), and seemed to work now.

The main reason for lots of things in the windows install/version is
that we've not yet had a developer that likes to spend time in
windows.  So far, we've mainly had users with varying bug reporting
qualities.

> Is it really neccessary to do this as postinstall/profile.d scripts?
> The usual way on cygwin is to add a config script to the dists like iu-config
> for the inetutils script.
> After installing the binary it is needed to run that script.

By the user?  That would be no good.

Cutting down on the scripts could be ok, but I wanted to keep
functionality for each package in a separate script, so that it would
be real easy to ask a user to change that script, or to drop it when a
package gets replaced by its cygwin version.

> with lilypond like python 1.5.

Afaik, we're recommending and distributing cygwin's python2.x now.  If
we can junk some python scripts, that would be good.  I haven't looked
at that after the move to cygwin's 2.x

> Cygwin comes with ghostscript (it is in standard PATHs included)

When it works all right, we should go with that.  Ideally, I'd like to
have lilypond included in cygwin, or have a separate partial cygwin
mirror that only adds lilypond, no native windows packages or other
stuff that's not in cygwin.  BUT, everything should `just work'...

> It is tetex not miktex included  (tetex is in the standard PATH settings
> and if one makes use of it, it is set up correct).

The same here.  Last time I looked, the included tetex was far from
complete.  It needed user intervention to set-up some symlinks and
stuff.  Another point for miktex is that it works, and it includes
yap, a nice dvi viewer.  That's really useful.

> I would like it more if the paths were compiled in the executables,
> there should be no problem to setup things for the 'standard' cygwin paths.

What do you mean, exactly; what executables?  The only tools that we
compile are lilypond and guile; the others were tarred-up windows-
installshield-installs.

> Is there a site in wiki or where is in the docu the description where
> all needed environment settings are described?

Yes, but its still rather empty:

    http://lilypond.org/wiki/?WindowsEnvironmentSettings

there are pages about virtually anything in our wiki
:-)

Jan.