Re: Unmetered quotes...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Unmetered quotes...
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:43:38 +0200

Crossposted this usage question to address@hidden

> Hi,
>
>   A  very recurrent problem, and a very frustrating one too,
>   in  early  music,  if  that  it sometimes happens that the
>   composer  wanted  a  quick  sequence of notes, but doesn't
>   want  to  mark them as grace notes. So, he just makes them
>   128th  and  puts  a  small  sequel.  Now  this is really a
>   frustrating problem to compensate using spacing rests (the
>   music  has  to  look  exactly  like  the  originals, so no
>   tweaking  of  the  note  values!).  So this is a feature I
>   suggest :
>
>   r4 b, e2^\mordent ~ |
>   e4.  \rap8{[d64 c  b,  a,  g,]} \grace g, a,4^\mordent ~ [a,8. b,16] |
>
>   The notes in beetween 'rap' shall then be calculated as if
>   they  were  a  big 8th note (rap*8*) but would 'look' like
>   64th notes.

You can get the desired result already today using (you want the
5 64:th notes to have the duration of 8 such notes)

\property Voice.TupletBracket \override #'tuplet-number-visibility = ##f
\property Voice.TupletBracket \override #'tuplet-bracket-visibility = ##f
\times 8/5{[d64 c b, a, g,]}
\property Voice.TupletBracket \revert #'tuplet-number-visibility
\property Voice.TupletBracket \revert #'tuplet-bracket-visibility

Of course, you could define a shorthand macro for the tuplet property
settings or set them in the \paper{} section for scores that don't
have any triplets.

   /Mats