Extracting simultanuous notes from lilypond

From: Dirk De Becker
Subject: Extracting simultanuous notes from lilypond
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:25:52 +0100

Hello all,

For my Artificial Intelligence graduating project, I'm working on an "Intelligent Partiture Reduction System". Starting from a partiture for several instruments, I try to reduce it to a partiture for e.g. piano and flute (using AI methods and a computer of course). For the representation of the partitures, we chose lilypond. In order to perform any processing on a partiture, it is of course necessary to have, for all time instances, the set of notes that are played simultanuously. I suppose something like that should already be done internally in lilypond, in order to put all simultanuous notes nicely on a vertical line. So I started browsing the code. But since I'm not familiar with the stucture of lilypond's code, and since there is not that much of comments inside the code, this is not a trivial task. (If there is some place where I can find documentation about the code's structure or something, please let me know). So, if anyone could give me any clues of where I can find, for a given moment in time, al simultanuous notes, I would be very gratefull.

Dirk

PS: If we find a system that works fine (which we surely hope to) it will most probable be released under the same licensing conditions as lilypond itself.

--
Dirk De Becker
Waversebaan 90