RE: New website

From: Ralph Little
Subject: RE: New website
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:52:56 +0100

> Han-Wen said:
> To combat the learning curve, I think that it would be better to write
> a simple program etc...

It does seem that a lot of people have difficulty in getting pass the first
hurdle, i.e. running Lilypond on the test file.
Like a lot of things, if you can get a simple thing working from scratch,
then you're 90% there.
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I wrote something from
scratch anyway!
I just get something I've written before and modify it a bit to suit.

I think a lot of this has to do with working with command-line tools, which
seems to be a bit of a dying art in the Windows world. ;)
The other aspect is getting everything (inc. dependancies) setup just right
can be a bit chewy.

Having said that, I just set up 1.7.20 on Gentoo and it merely involved
"emerge"ing the TeX components, compile & install Guile 1.6.4 from source
(piece of cake), compile and install Lily from source, and Bob's your uncle!
Nothing could be simpler!

BTW, the new website does look rather funky!
If I have any criticism, it took me a little while to find the online tech
documentation from the new front screen :(
Apart from that, it looks like an awesome amount of work has gone into it!
Well done all involved!

BTW2, I'm still trying to find time to finish this Braille music stuff. I'm
getting into it, but it's slow going and I haven't much time....
Watch this space :D

Regards,
Ralph

Our communications with you matter to us. This e-mail and any attachments
are confidential and are sent on the basis of our copyright, e-mail and
security policy which can be inspected by visiting
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/contact_index.asp. and clicking on the print
friendly link. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender and delete this message.  Thank you.