Re: New website

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New website
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:06:48 -0700

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:04:00 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Stefaan Himpe wrote:
> >> most tutorial readers are newbies, we should treat them as gently
> >> as possible.  :)
> >
> > I actually prefer to have a one-page-contains-it-all version,
> > because it is easier to have your browser search for
> > certain keywords when you are struggling through your
> > first pieces...
>
> Of course we could have both, but if I were to choose between
> one option or the other, I'd definitely vote for the single page
> version, both for the search possibilities and to make it easy
> to just scroll down to quickly browse through the contents to
> get a general overview.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have a "everything together" options,
but I don't think the tutorial link should point to the
/everything.html#tutorial
page.  On my Celeron 500 with a cable internet connection (and Mozilla
1.0.0), it took 12 seconds to get to the tutorial part.  It was still
my system is ideal (if nothing else I should upgrade Mozilla), but I'm
certain that I don't have the slowest system out there.

The user manual link takes you to the table of contents; why not have
the tutorial link take you to the table of contents of the tutorial,
like the... argh, this is too complicated to explain.  I'll just
submit a patch (while commenting out the current links, instead of
deleting them) and let you complain if you don't like it.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham.  "I'm just teasing you; you'll like the changes."