Re: 1.9.4 released/Request for comments: chord syntax!

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 1.9.4 released/Request for comments: chord syntax!
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:52:57 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> then back to read the notes of the chord.  Would it be possible to
> support both versions?

Sure it is. Just type <a8 b> (pre 1.9.4) or <<a8 b>> (1.9.4)

> >   My feeling is that << >> stands out better in the text, and that in
> >   the < > version the chord-pitches do not appear to form groups.
>
> I find that the < > version _does_ form groups.  I agree with your
> first sentence -- << >> stands out better.  But that's why I dislike
> it.  A chord isn't all _that_ special.

No, but if you are editing, and need to find a spot in a big section
of lilypond code, then a better standing-out structural element will
make it easier to see structure, and find places.

> ok, I've just realized that I don't know what the difference is between
> chords and simultaneous.  I always thought that a chord was just a one-note
> simultaneous section (without the \\ voices).

That is what used to be. It caused a lot of problems, so we changed
it.