RE: Windows Scripts

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: RE: Windows Scripts
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:18:36 +0200

from private mail

From: "Fodor Bertalan" <address@hidden>
To: "'Jan Nieuwenhuizen'" <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:34:01 +0200

>    @echo off
>    c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins '%1%'"
>
> should also work.

Yes, that's also what I think. (And it does work:-) )

>     bash --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins '%1%'"
That works only when d:\foobar\cygwin\bin is in the system path, which is
not by default.

Actually this line would work as an association (so could be set up into the
registry), but for some reason, in this case Windows substitutes a short,
DOS filename instead of the original name, so the .BAT file must be used.

> It would
> be nice if we could just chdir to 'the directory that
> run-lily-wins.bat lives in':
>
>    @echo off
>    chdir (to dirname of %0%)
>    bash --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins '%1%'"

Sorry, I don't understand. For what reason would this directory changing be
good?

> Ok.  In bash terminology, we would want to do an exec, ie:
>
>    @echo off
>    chdir (to dirname of %0%)
>    exec bash --login -c "/usr/bin/lily-wins '%1%'"
>
> but I don't know if something like that exists in .BAT?
In windows there are call and start. As I know, both of them executes in a
new shell. I tried them, so I think this problem is not related to Windows
but to python script. (I suppose that the lily-wins script doesn't
terminate.) But perhaps I am wrong. And this is really not so important.

> Btw, now that it gets a bit technical, I'd like to bring this on the
> lilypond-devel (or lilypond-user if you're not subscribed) list; so
> that others may help with their knowledge.  What do you think?

OK.

Bert