Re: Jazz notation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Jazz notation
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:07:41 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Whether or not some people prefer to avoid it, and regardless of
> whether the examples I showed were not particularly good examples of
> it, I think it would be a valuable addition to lilypond.  In fact, it
> would just do more to demonstrate lilypond's superiority if it did it a
> lot better than the other options out there.

Maybe it's time for another public position statement.

I don't particularly want "jazz" notation, but I also do not oppose
it. I will accept properly coded patches for LilyPond, both for the
formatting system and for the (meta)font.

I do not see technical problems, except for the fact it will require a
lot of new formatting code to be written. Which brings me to the point
that I would like to stress:

        You guys have to scratch your own itch. All code contributions
        to date have come from people that just started writing code,
        instead of speculating, asking questions or solliciting
        opinions.

In other words: show me code, and I can tell you if it can be put into
LilyPond.

A word of warning: my standards for code contribution have become
higher over the years, I've spent far too much time repairing broken
code written by others, and I won't accept such code anymore.