ties problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: ties problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:34:14 +0100 (CET)

The following is something which I would really like to see corrected
as soon as possible.  I can't say how difficult it is to fix, but it
is essential to piano music.  Unfortunately, it is virtually
impossible to apply workarounds for the start and end problem of ties
-- if there is one please tell me.

    Werner

%
% This file shows problems with ties in lilypond
% CVS 2004-01-18 23:13 MET.
%
% . For chords in tight context, ties must occupy horizontal space for
%   themselves.  I consider this as a severe problem.
%
% . The start and end points of ties are not correct in chords with
%   seconds.  This is also a severe problem IMHO.
%
% . The curvature of small ties is too big.
%
% . The algorithm to choose the direction of the ties doesn't work
%   properly.  I suggest the following for applying ties sequentially
%   from top to bottom:
%
%     + The topmost tie is always `up'.
%
%     + If there is a vertical gap to the last note above larger than
%       or equal to a fifth (or sixth?), the tie is `up', otherwise it
%       is `down'.
%
%     + The bottommost tie is always `down'.

\version "2.1.12"
\include "deutsch.ly"

\score {
  \notes \relative c' {