Re: LilyPond 2.1.22 released

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.1.22 released
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:38:40 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > I want the syntax to reflect what Lily is doing inside. If you can
> > figure out a way to unify both types of properties internally, I will
> > unify the syntax.
>
> Ideally, the user shouldn't need to know anything about the structure
> of the implementation.

No, but they should know the "specification" of what LilyPond input
means.  I want to change implementation matches closely the (mental
model) of the input language. That's also why I'm doing some major
brain surgery on the Translation part, so we can have more consistency
and have

  \context Score \with { .. }

I think that

> If we need the separation, we also have to be
> able to explain it in a way that's obvious to a person who has never
> done any programming.

misses the point. If we fail to explain things logically, then the
implementation is at fault.

> Also, one problem from the users side, even when you have realized the
> difference between translator properties and backend properties,
> is that it's not always obvious if a certain feature belongs to the
> translator or to the backend, when you start searching for a property.

When you unify both, the search space doubles in size - that doesn't
exactly help the users.

> I notice that the direct overlap between the two cathegories has
> decreased since 2.0.0 (where e.g. the translator property
> tupletInvisible directly translated into two backen properties), but
> the border line is still a bit fuzzy.

Tell me where we have more overlap, and I will look into it.