Re: Is \paper{} needed?

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Is \paper{} needed?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:45:26 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > >
> > > The default is to supply a \paper{} declaration if no output (paper,
> > > midi) is specified. Perhaps this default should be changed?
> > >
> > > Any objections?
> >
> > AFAIK, the current default has been there a loong time (it was there 2 year
> > ago when I first met lily).
> >
> > For me, it is a good default.. it has the benefit is that it saves 8
> > characters when I write short tests.
>
> Funny.
>
> I always have to add
>
>  \paper{  raggedright = ##t }
>
> for short tests anyway. Maybe that's a sensible solution? Having
> \paper{}/\midi{} correspond to \paper { raggedright = ##t } ?

No, no, no!  I don't think that it is a good idea to have two different
default values for a property such as raggedright: if you do not specify a
\paper block at all, the default would be ##t, but if you say \paper{},
the default would be ##f.  This would be totally confusing for a new
lilypond user, I guess.  Of course, it would be ok, if the default would
be ##t in both cases, but I guess for real-life scores, most people most
of the time prefer ##f?  So, better leave it ##f in both cases.

Greetings,
Juergen