proof-reading

From: David Bobroff
Subject: proof-reading
Date: 24 Feb 2004 17:22:24 +0000

I just went through sections 1 through 1.3 and offer these corrections.
If there is a better way for me to do this please tell me.

-David

*****************

Manual has:

1 Introduction

...,but most of them do not do good job.

Should be:

...,but most of them do not do a good job.
*****************

Manual has:

1.1 Notation in LilyPond

[Paragraph 4]

...Each plug-in are completely...

Should be:

...Each plug-in is completely...

*****************

Later in that paragraph it says:

When put together, the plug-ins can solve the music notation program...

Should it be "problem" rather than "program"?

*****************

And:

People that put graphics to musical ideas are called...

Reads better like this:

People who convert musical information into graphic symbols are
called...

*****************

Section 1.1 last paragraph:

Has;

The engravers for note head, stems, slurs, etc....

Should be;

The engravers for note heads, stems, slurs, etc....

*****************

1.2 Engraving in LilyPond

Paragraph one:

...The stamping and cutting was completely done by hand.

Better:

...The stamping and cutting was done completely by hand.

*****************

Paragraph two:

Music often is far away...

Better:

Music is often far away...

*****************

Last paragraph last sentence:

...down-stem/up-stems...

Should be:

...down-stem/up-stem...

*****************

1.3 Typography and program architecture

Should be:

1.3 Typography and Program Architecture

[NB Section titles work like titles.  In English all words are
capitalized except for "unimportant" words like "the," "a," "an," "and,"
"this" unless they are the first word, of course. ]

...It is not possible to come up with a definitive solution for a
problem at the first try.  Instead, we start out with simple solution
that might cover 75% of the cases, and gradually refine that solution
over the course of months or years, so 90 or 95% of the cases are
handled.

Should be:

...It is not possible to come up with a definitive solution for a
problem on the first try.  Instead, we start out with a simple solution
that might cover 75% of the cases, and gradually refine that solution
over the course of months or years so that 90 or 95% of the cases are
handled.

*****************

Paragraph three has a typo:

thosed

Should be

those

*****************

Following the DynamicLineSpanner example the manual says:

...(which is measured in staff space,...

Should be:

...(which is measured in staff spaces,...

*****************

Consider the case of a publisher that is not satisfied with the in the
default layout, and wants heavier stems.

Should be:

Consider the case of a publisher that is not satisfied with the default
layout, and wants heavier stems.

Last sentence:

In fact, LilyPond gets a lot of formatting right automatically, so
adjusting individual layout situations is not needed often at all.

Should be:

In fact, LilyPond gets a lot of formatting right automatically, so
adjusting individual layout situations is often not needed at all.