Re: compilation error

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: compilation error
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:07:36 -0500

    >   /home/sx0005/lilypond//Documentation/user/out/introduction.texi:95:
    >     @image file `lily-212977279.txt' (for text) unreadable:

As Alper says, that message is now a warning.  The infinite "Too many
errors" is obviously a problem, but I can't reproduce, with CVS texinfo
anyway.

I did see one thing that I hadn't realized, though.  When image.txt
exists (and image.png doesn't), the output still uses the cookie.
address@hidden text="contents of image.txt are here"address@hidden

It seems to me it would be better (= less requirements of info readers)
to simply include the .txt file without the cookie in this case, as used
to be done.  Was there some reason to prefer the cookie?

    The best solution would be deprecate info docs without images,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I certainly don't want to force
authors to make .txt (or .png) files for their images.  I feel makeinfo
should just continue to degrade to the filename (or whatever) as necessary.

Thanks,