Re: compilation error

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: compilation error
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:13:09 +0100 (CET)

> >  The less latest-version-or-newer packages are needed,
> > the better.  lilypond already needs too much packages to work.
>
> What package dependencies do you suggest we drop?

Dependencies on package versions which haven't been released yet?
Normally, relying on a CVS version is dangerous.

> I have implemented PostScript output some three or four years ago.
> I have seen no user interest at all in output that does not need
> TeX, for example.

AFAIK, it has never worked reliably, at least this is the impression
I got after asking on the list.

> Fwiw, texinfo is only needed during build; and developers should
> know how to type apt-get upgrade (or suffer if they choose to use a
> more cumbersome system ;-)

Even then -- I tried to compile the texinfo CVS, which relies on a
brand new automake version which I had to compile before, which relies
on a brand new autoconf version which I had to compile before, etc.,
etc.

    Werner