Re: reading material?

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: reading material?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:28:44 +0100

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:46:04 +0200 (EET), Heikki a dit :

 > For me, it looks like the first fundamental difference between these two
 > syntaxes is that in C++ you have to be extremely careful with type and
 > inheritance, whereas in Scheme (seems like) you do not usually need to care.

This static/dynamically typed issue have been discussed by some
eminent C++/Java gurus, such as Bruce Eckel or Robert Martin, who seem
to advocate the use of dynamically typed languages now (Python in
particular).

  http://www.mindview.net/WebLog/log-0025

 > The second fundamental difference is between an user and the language. Since
 >
 > Scheme is interpreted, the behavior of the program (say LilyPond) can be
 > changed dynamically. This is not the case with C(++), since the structure of
 > compiled program becomes changed only after recompiling. Therefore, an
 > interpreted language, like Scheme, is the only choice in the user end in
 > order
 > to satisfy the needs of a high-level (or low-level -- I mix these always)
 > language.

Just to bring a correction:
interpreted/compiled implementation is orthogonal dynamic/static
programs. That's the second that you are refering to, it seems. guile
scheme is interpreted only, but it could have had a compiler and not
lose its dynamicity. With other implementations, you can compile files
or functions on purpose, during run-time.