Re: metronome mark problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: metronome mark problems
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:48:06 +0200 (CEST)

> > % . Assuming that the metronome mark affects the following input,
> > %   it shouldn't be located over the time signature.
>
> Where should it go?  I've been manually moving tempo markings to be
> left-aligned with the time signature after people I've discussed
> typesetting with told me that they should be aligned like that.

My mistake, sorry.  Sometimes I have different feelings how things
behave.

> This is why markup text has been frustrating for me; I have been
> moving them to left align the time signature manually and just find
> it easier to use the metronome markings.  Will there be text based
> metronome markings in the future that way something like 'Andante'
> could be placed consistent to other metronome marks?

Good idea!  Another wish is to have the possibility to select a double
wavy line instead of the equals sign, indicating an approximative
tempo value.  I suggest to add a third, optional parameter which gives
a textual representation (or whatever syntax is easy to parse).
Examples:

  \tempo 2 = 92 "Andante \quarter \approx 92"

  \tempo 2 = 92 "Andante (\quarter = ca. 92)"

    Werner