Re: leftmargin and page layout

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: leftmargin and page layout
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:06:03 -0300

Han-Wen Nienhuys  <address@hidden> writes:
> \bookpaper and \paper are basically the same internally.  In practice,
> they are nested. \bookpaper defines default font sizes, as well  as
> output scaling. \paper sets defintions for \score blocks. All settings
> in  \bookpaper are defaults to \paper. In other words, a \paper
> setting will override a \bookpaper setting

ok, thanks. Now I understand, basically \bookpaper will set the values
for the whole paper while \paper for each \score block.

If I have something like:

\bookpaper {
    leftmargin = 3\cm
    linewidth = 15\cm
}

the linewidth will apply globally (for title and \score)

but if I do something like:

\bookpaper {
    leftmargin = 3\cm
}

\paper {
    linewidth = 15\cm
}

\bookpaper will have the default value for linewidth and \paper the new
value (this will result in a rather ugly-looking score)

Actually one can have different values for linewidth:

\bookpaper {
    leftmargin = 3\cm
    linewidth = 15\cm
}

\paper {
    linewidth = 7\cm
}

That's nice :-)
[sorry if I'm slow :-)]

I updated input/regression/page-layout.ly to show better the difference
between \bookpaper and \paper.

> How does latex cope with this problem?

I'm checking the geometry package to see if I can figure out.

> I'm not sure. Of course, I'm rather typographically inclined, but I
> always specify linewidth. That is also the quantity that should not be
> changed after final layout tweaks have been done. Layout depends on
> linewidth. It would be a bad thing if printing a piece for a different
> paper size would upset my careful formatting.

indeed. maybe would be nice to have an option to change the paper size
without changing the original linewidth (i.e., scaling the old page to
fit the new page or something like this).

Pedro