Re: configure, 2.3.8, and SuSE 9.1

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: configure, 2.3.8, and SuSE 9.1
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:21:31 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes
Following through on my threat to try and "fix" the things I've been moaning about :-)

I've downloaded 2.3.8, and tried to install it. configure moaned about a load of things, so I went into YaST and installed as much of the missing dependencies as I could (yacc, flex, python etc etc). But what I CAN'T find is "msgfmt".

YaST can't find anything of that name (and it seems a strange name), but without it configure won't complete successfully and I can't proceed. What's wrong? And where do I find this thing?

I've managed to find it :-)

But it looks like it's a typical SuSE problem - it's mentioned with old SuSEs and old lilyponds.

It might be an idea to mention it in the INSTALL.TXT - something along the lines of "if installing on SuSE and YaST won't recognise the missing programs, use the 'pin' command to find what package it's in".

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.