dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction

From: Stephen
Subject: dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:33:32 -0500

#(define-public absolute-volume-alist '())
#(set! absolute-volume-alist
     (append
     '(
("sf" . 1.00)
("fffff" . 0.95)
("ffff" . 0.90)
("fff" . 0.85)
("ff" . 0.80)
("f" . 0.75)
("mf" . 0.68)
("mp" . 0.61)
("p" . 0.55)
("pp" . 0.49)
("ppp" . 0.42)
("pppp" . 0.35)
("ppppp" . 0.28)
)
     absolute-volume-alist))

#(define-public (dynamic-absolute-volume s)
 (let ((entry (assoc s absolute-volume-alist)))
   (if entry
(cdr entry))))

\set Voice.dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction = #dynamic-absolute-volume

The above is how to set the 'dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction' in a .ly file.

Since I could not find any other example of how to use it, I am offering my own. This is the same as the default except I removed the 'default-' part in the name and compressed the dynamic range. It would be nice if people tried it and offered feedback on whether I struck the right balance of keeping the dynamic levels discreet while keeping pianissimo audible.

I don't think the 0.01 - 0.20 range is audible at reasonable volume levels.

Stephen