Re: Span_dynamic_performer

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Span_dynamic_performer
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:18:32 -0500

It has been my experience that visually it looks better to connect absolute dynamics with a hairpin or to say it the other way around, to connect the hairpin to an absolute dynamic. I am not trying to be difficult. If what you say is true, what the hairpin engraver has been written to perform optimally the hairpin performer has a bug in.

Usually a hairpin dynamic is placed between one or two absolute dynamics so that the performer of the music knows to gradually shift from one dynamic to the other. Usually in printed music the dynamics and hairpins are lined up with each other vertically in this case. I learned that an easy way to make a hairpin line up with an absolute dynamic is attach the start or end of the hairpin to the same note as the dynamic. So if this messes up the midi, it is very unfortunate, 'cause it is more important to makr it look good.

I am not angry, it just takes a lot of words to make clear what I mean. Often the purpose of a hairpin is to modulate the volume between two given dynamics. Clearly the problem is that the hairpin modulates the volume from its start to its endpoint, but really, it should never modulate at its endpoints anyway. When a performer sees a hairpin, he knows to bring it from the dynamic he is already playing at the start of the hairpin to another absolute dynamic at the end of the hairpin. So the modulation should never include, say, the first note of a hairpin. If there are only two notes, it should only change the dynamic of the second note. If the hairpin is attached to only one note, it should only change the dynamics of the notes following the hairpin. Etc.

Again, I am curious to know which file this code is in in the sources.

Stephen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Sandberg" <address@hidden>