Re: removing unwanted accidentals

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: removing unwanted accidentals
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:49:37 +0200

On Thursday 14 April 2005 21.31, Stephen wrote:
> Given all the options for automatic accidentals: voice, modern,
> modern-voice, piano, no-reset, forget, and default, one of them must answer
> every situation if you take the time to learn them. I find it confusing
> when there are multiple ways to do the same thing. I'd look carefully at
> the current options before I wrote a new option.
>
> In the example, '\set Score.currentBarNumber = #1' creates the problem. I
> don't see why the numbering is reset there other than to remove the number
> from that bar because it collides with the mark "D". There must be another
> way to suppress the bar number at that bar.

It also changes the numbering of all subsequent bars. I don't know the
author's intent in this case (I didn't write that snippet), but I guess it
could be something like an attaca movement.

> However, I fixed it by setting the accidental style to 'forget'. See? there
> is already a way to do it.

There are situations where this doesn't work. E.g., in
{ \key d\major fis f }
I can see no way to avoid displaying the natural.

(this example I gave is not realistic, but the below example suggests that it
may happen that you want to tweak accidentals in unexpected ways, e.g. due to
other bugs)

Erik