Re: mensural notation

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: mensural notation
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:44:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, Pal!

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Pal Benko wrote:

Hi all,

attached is a patch with changed mensural noteheads.

fet_beginchar("Mensural open head","s0mensural")
-       draw_diamond_head (staff_space#, 0.15, 0.30, 30, true);
+%      draw_diamond_head (1.8 staff_space#, 0.15, 0.40, 30, true);
+      draw_neomensural_open_head (staff_space#, 1.8 staff_space#);
fet_endchar;

fet_beginchar("Mensural open head","s1mensural")
-       draw_diamond_head (staff_space#, 0.15, 0.30, 30, true);
+%      draw_diamond_head (1.8 staff_space#, 0.15, 0.40, 30, true);
+      draw_neomensural_open_head (staff_space#, 1.8 staff_space#);
fet_endchar;

fet_beginchar("Mensural black head","s2mensural")
-       draw_diamond_head (staff_space#, 0.15, 0.30, 30, false);
+%      draw_diamond_head (1.8 staff_space#, 0.15, 0.40, 30, false);
+      draw_neomensural_black_head (staff_space#, 1.8 staff_space#);
fet_endchar;

What I do not understand, if you want neo-mensural noteheads, why not just
doing "\override Voice.NoteHead #'style = #'neomensural"?

Some problems:
1. MensuralStaff sort of ceased to work for me - or, rather,
I was using it inaccurately.  Roughly I wrote

\score {
 \context MensuralStaff {
   % notes here
 }
}

But since last week this doesn't work.

Ok, I will look into this.

2. I'd like to make punctus divisionis work as a new bar symbol,
\bar ".".  But for correct positioning I need in
Bar_line::compound_barline the previous and the next note - how
can I get them (if I can at all)?

Maybe in the bar engraver, you can do something similar to what the ligature engraver does: listening for note heads (but not eating it up as the ligature engraver does), remembering the pitch of the last seen one, and when a bar is created, putting the pitch as a grob value into the bar grob, and doing similar for the pending next note's pitch. You probably should discuss this with Han-Wen or Jan.

3. I hacked Mensural_ligature a bit so that now I don't have
those spurious warnings for flexa shapes and I have horizontal
positioning of dots all right.

Great to hear!

I want to have correct vertical
positions; in Mensural_ligature I can calculate the correct
position, but I don't know how to propagate this information
(and in fact I don't really know where to propagate it, but I
guess it's Dot_column or Dot_column_engraver).

See Han-Wen's reply.

Greetings,
Jürgen

thanks,
Pal
Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu