Re: Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Proposed patch (Was: Font problems with 2.5.27 on MacOS)
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:13:40 +0200

Matthias Neeracher wrote:
Yes, I guess that's best. I'd be grateful if you could find out how we can properly embed a dfont file. I know that there are utilities for extracting TTFs from dfonts.

I think I found a solution that is reasonably general: Why not pass all unknown font files to fontforge for pfa conversion?

I don't like this option because we would have to ship FontForge with the standalone LilyPond on MacOS. FF is big, depends on X11, running it is slow, and it doesn't have a clear versioning scheme. In any case, the relevant code should be implemented on the Scheme side. This is only an option for the fink version.

AFAIK, a .dfont is an archive of several TTFs, and should be possible to extract the right TTF font from the .dfont directly. Perhaps by borrowing code from the Fondu utility.

this seems to work for the western font case. It *almost* seems to make xiao-haizi-guai-guai work too: the generated .ps has all fonts embedded, but somehow still fails pdf conversion.

That should not be a surprise. The chinese/japanese fonts are shipped as OTF and TTF, which are already correctly embedded by Lily. No need for fontforge there.