Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:06:00 -0400

    >> Since only the I) files are used when you run lilypond-book on a
    >> LaTeX
    >> file, Graham's concerns are completely valid, namely that the height of
    >> each lily-xxx-n.eps file is taken from the default settings in
    >> ly/paper-defaults.ly, not from the page layout of the LaTeX document.

    HN> I'm not sure what the right solution is in this case. What are you
    HN> using \book inside lilypond-book for?

It used to be that you could use any valid lilypond file in
lilypond-book.  This is apparently no longer the case; e.g., if you
want letterpaper, since you can't any longer specify it on the
lilypond command line, you have to put it into the lilypond file, and
then lilypond-book gets confused.  It seems to me that this is a
regression.  (Aside from the lilypond-book problem, those of us who
publish our work on the *world wide* web would rather not have to
specify papersize inside the file.)

My _modus operandi_ is to use plain lilypond on individual pieces, and
then when I have several related pieces to combine them with
lilypond-book.  Is this not something that's going to be supported in
the future?  I haven't yet started using the \book feature, but I can
easily imagine doing so, for instance for a multi-movement piece.
Then I would expect to be able to combine several of these via
lilypond-book.  But maybe I would be wrong?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139