Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:17:11 -0500

Laura Conrad said:
It used to be that you could use any valid lilypond file in
lilypond-book.  This is apparently no longer the case; e.g., if you

I think we are talking about \book in general whether in lilypond-book or not.

Han-Wen Nienhuys said:
As a short-cut, lilypond will collect all toplevel
scores/compound music-expressions/text markups in a single \book.

I think he is saying that \book is the top level whether it is explicitly stated or not, just as \score is added whether it is explicitly stated or not. There are many defaults which are added by Lilypond when not written in the file, I think \book is one of them.

For instance, the following two lines generate identical output:

{ a b c d e f }

\book { \score { \context Staff { \clef G \key c \major \time 4/4 a b c d e f } } }

and I think all those things are added by default, including \book.

If there is more than one \score in a file, they will all be added to one \book, I believe:

\book { \score { ... } \score { ... } ... }

even if the file is written like this:

\score { ... } \score { ... } ...

If instead you explicitly pair a \book with each \score:

\book { \score { ... } } \book { \score { ... } } ...

each \score block will print out in a separate file.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laura Conrad" <address@hidden>