Re: null markup

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: null markup
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:00:53 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
As far as I can understand, a \hspace #0 gives a markup that is
0pt wide but has a height that is the total height (i.e. the depth + the
height) of the characters in the font. That's the only way I can explain
what happens in your example. However, I'm not sure if that's a good
behaviour for \null in general. Consider for example the difference
between the two boxes in

\markup{\box \column { A \line {a \hspace #0.0 } }
        \box \column { A \line {a \null} } }

I think the current implementation of \null behaves more intuitively.
On the other hand, the alignment issues of markups in general are far
from clear.

There is a \strut command to do this, but last time I looked it was broken.