Re: autopackage installer - missing dependency

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: autopackage installer - missing dependency
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:47:55 +0200

Ferenc Wagner writes:

> Yes:
> $ package -v
> autopackage 1.0.2, (c) 2002-2005 the autopackage developers

Aw, crap.  I wish they would fix that: using old buggy versions when
new, fixed version is included.

> So I created a fresh user and executed the above file under
> that.  There the installation finished as:

Ok, great.

> rm: cannot remove directory
> `/home/lilypond/tmp297659095/payload/@lilypond.org/lilypond:2.7.8/share/doc/lilypond/input/test':
>  No such file or directory

Hmm, that may be a bug in 1.0.6, I've seen that more often.

> Why didn't it upgrade the older autopackage?  Shall I ask
> for it separately?

I do not have a clue, it would be nice if this were tracked down and
reported to/fixed by autopackage developers.

>> We need guile-1.6.7, ie, 1.6.4 does not work.  That makes checking
>> rather ugly, just checking for libguile.so.12.3 does not work.
>
> Isn't it easy to evaluate (version) once guile was found?

Not really, afaik.  How would you suggest to get the guile version
from the library?  We could do something like

     strings .../libguile.so.12.3.0 | grep -A1 guileversion

but, well, ugh.

> Yes.  Unless you prepare a separate guild autopackage.  Btw,
> is the autopackage philosophy to put all the dependencies
> into a single huge file, since bandwidth is cheap, and sort
> out which one to install in the end?

I'm not sure what the autopackage philosophy is.  It supports
auto-downloading, but I do not know how it works, from what archive
stuff is downloaded.  As far as I know, dependency resolving is
coupled with downloading, so you cannot download into a cache and then
have automatic dependency resolving.  To fix that, autopackage supports
fat packages, that include every possible dependency.  We provide both, but
no-one looked into the downloading bit yet.

Jan.