Re: version tags in 2.9 cvs

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: version tags in 2.9 cvs
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:44:54 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Releases are tagged via GUB; the darcs tags contain the ChangeLog
version number/date, which you can use to check out CVS.

Huh, I need the darcs repo to check out a cvs version?  How would I
check-out 2.9.10 a year from now?  What is the reason for not setting
the tag?

Because whether I can do a release is determined entirely on the GUB side of things. By tagging in darcs I can be sure that every release I'm shipping as a binary is the same as the one that I'm shipping as source.

The tags I've added manually in the past weren't exact: there were often little differences because building the binary turned up new problems.

I can't tag CVS from GUB as it uses an anonymous checkout of CVS.

If it's a problem we should add a timestamp file or similar to each binary build, so we can trace back exactly when a release was done.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com