changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Ted Walther
Subject: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:26:47 -0700

I am running Debian unstable, with lilypond 2.6.3 for typesetting,
timidity 2.13.2 to play midi files, and freepats 20060219 to provide the
midi patchsets.

I notice in the manual it says the patch set has to be named exactly,
with no variance in case allowed.  So I have been pasting in different
instrument strings from the manual, trying to get something other than
grand piano.  I have not had any fortune.

Does anyone else have a similar setup to mine, and have they succeeded
in making a midi file that does not come out using the grand piano?  Is
this a lilypond bug or should I harass the timidity and freepats
maintainers?

I am using the following line:

\set Staff.midiInstrument = #"oboe"

I have tried it in the top level, and inside a \score section.  It makes
no difference; the resulting midi file always uses the default grand
piano.

You can see the input file I am using here:

     http://reactor-core.org/~djw/jerusalem.ly

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973