Re: changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:50:31 +0200

Quoting Ted Walther <address@hidden>:

I am running Debian unstable, with lilypond 2.6.3 for typesetting,
timidity 2.13.2 to play midi files, and freepats 20060219 to provide the
midi patchsets.

I recommend you to upgrade to the latest stable version, 2.8. The installation package available for download at www.lilypond.org should
work without any problems on a Debian system, just as well as other
Linux systems. In addition to a number of new features, the manual has
also been improved significantly (actually, the one for the latest development version is even better and is relevant also for version 2.8).

I notice in the manual it says the patch set has to be named exactly,
with no variance in case allowed.  So I have been pasting in different
instrument strings from the manual, trying to get something other than
grand piano.  I have not had any fortune.

Does anyone else have a similar setup to mine, and have they succeeded
in making a midi file that does not come out using the grand piano?  Is
this a lilypond bug or should I harass the timidity and freepats
maintainers?

I am using the following line:

\set Staff.midiInstrument = #"oboe"

I have tried it in the top level, and inside a \score section.  It makes
no difference; the resulting midi file always uses the default grand
piano.

Just as any other property setting that applies to a certain Staff, you have to do the setting within the Staff context, for example:
\new Staff {
        \time 3/4
        \key d \major
        \clef treble