Re: relative mode interacting wierdly with polyphony

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: relative mode interacting wierdly with polyphony
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:45:04 -0700

Ted Walther wrote:
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:55:26PM -0700, Ted Walther wrote:

I have two different staffs.  Each staff usually has two voices going
at once.  I've been doing it a bar at a time, and for each bar, putting
in a << { } // { } >> section.  Now that I am 10 bars in, I'm noticing
that the previous five bars are getting messed up, to varying degrees,
as I add each new bar.  It is as if the definition of the "last" note
that the , and ' octavation marks apply to is getting changed on the
fly based on the new input.

Is my procedure wrong?  Should I be letting the voices run all the way
to the end instead of starting and stopping them at each bar?

My real question is, how does lilypond define "the last note" when in
relative mode.

Good question. I don't know offhand, but it's easy to test. Just make a simple ly file and spend five minutes trying various options.