Re: changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:47:33 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

Ted Walther wrote:

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 08:50:31PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Just as any other property setting that applies to a certain Staff, you
have to do the setting within the Staff context, for example:

\new Staff {
    \time 3/4
    \key d \major
    \clef treble
      \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"oboe"

That worked.  Thank you Mats!  If that isn't in the documentation on the
website, it would be helpful to put it in.

Please see
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

I think the problem here was the general knowledge of how to set properties, which certainly is described in the manual, but probably not in the parts of the manual which you read the first time. In my opinion, we cannot keep repeating the same information over and over in the manual. Also, the current documentation
of midiInstrument does say:
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "glockenspiel"
...notes...

which at least implicitly indicates that the setting should be done just in
connection with the actual notes, not anywhere else in the file.

However, Ted is probably the best one to judge why it was hard to find this
information and propose how the documentation can be made even clearer.

  /Mats