Re: lilypond ChangeLog Documentation/user/examples....

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: lilypond ChangeLog Documentation/user/examples....
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:59:04 +0200

On Sunday 27 August 2006 17:41, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > I'm sure that there's some reason why "\tempo x = y" is a horrible
> > construct and must be replaced, but
> >     \context {
> >       \Score
> >       tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment y x)
> >       }
> > looks unnecessarily complicated.  If that's the way it's going to be,
> > I'll document it, but... why this?  Do we want to allow users to have
> > different tempo in different Staff contexts?
>
> we can hvae something like
>
>   #(set-tempo "4" 70)
>
> or maybe
>
>    tempo = #70
>
> \tempo has to go, because it is strange exception to the general syntax.

How about
\score {
 { c d e }
 \midi{ pre = \tempo 4. = 70 }
}
?

(I.e., \tempo is a music expression => it's not a grammatical exception)

Semantics: If pre is set, then embed main input in a SequentialMusic when
interpreting music for midi. So instead of interpreting { c d e } above, we
interpret the expression:
{ \tempo 4.=70 { c d e } }

--
Erik