Re: two pass spacing patch

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: two pass spacing patch
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:17:27 +0200

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> Just some random thoughts: it seems that you need the exact extent and
> staff-extent for determining if a system is stretchable. If it were
> possible to do it another way (say by setting a property from the C++
> side whenever we see a VerticalAlignment with more than one child) then
> you could theoretically do everything using just the estimated extents.
>
> That is, you could calculate the maximum stretch before the systems have
> even been typeset and insert the tweaks immediately instead of writing
> them to a file. That way, "two-pass" spacing happens automatically on
> only one pass. Of course, it would be less accurate since you rely on
> the estimated extents, but it's something to consider anyway.

Very interesting! Doing the system stretch in a single pass would be
really cool. I didn't know there was such a thing like an estimated
extent. Might you point me to the part of the code where this may be
done?

If there is no objection, I'll commit the two pass stuff anyway, as it
will eventually used by a few people (that is, at least two :).
But then working on the one pass spacing would be something valuable.

nicolas