Re: lyric barcheck possible bug

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: lyric barcheck possible bug
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:25:27 +0200

On 9/29/06, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
Erik Sandberg wrote:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 02:38, Graham Percival wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This displays a barcheck error.  Is it defined whether it should or not?
>>   I glanced through the docs but couldn't immediately find anything
>> about lyrics and rests.
>
> You should currently view barchecks as something you place _before_ syllables.
> With this way of viewing it, the barcheck before the third ah is naturally
> aligned to the middle of the second bar.
>
> However, it might be bad to rely on this interpretation, because we may want
> to change it later. I'd recommend you to only place barchecks where the
> melody has notes immediately before and after the barline.
>
> One way to fix behaviour (and make it do what people expect) may be to make
> lyricsto listen to barchecks in the melody, and align those to any matching
> barchecks in the lyrics.

Err... should I add this to the bug tracker or not?  I don't mind either
way; I just want to get this backlog all dealt with, for any value of
"dealt with".  (only about 10 bug reports to go!)

I view it as a 'undefined behaviour' thing; i.e., it's a situation
where lily's behaviour currently is undefined, but where it is
desirable to make the behaviour well-defined. So, I'd say it's
'enhancement' rather than 'bug'.

Erik