Re: draft release announcement

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: draft release announcement
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:39:21 -0500

Juergen Reuter wrote:

I am not sure about capitalization in English language, but shouldn't

* all words in the headline except "than" start with a capital letter and

Actually, at least in the US, headlines are commonly (though not always) set in sentence case, with the first letter and any proper names capitalized, and no final period. Two online examples are CNN.com or USAtoday.com. And, if I remember correctly, Robert Bringhurst recommends this convention in The Elements of Typographic Style.

I believe studies have demonstrated that sentence case is more readable (in terms of speed and comprehension) than Title Case, which is why it is often used in advertising as well. This is also why a final period is omitted from headlines: when it is included, people tend to skip the article which follows.

Book titles are a whole different story.

Marcus