Re: dynamics and accidentals

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: dynamics and accidentals
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:50:16 -0800

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
IMHO, you either need a perfect skyline algorithm with quite exact
boundaries so that such unnatural big distances are avoided, or, which
is perhaps sufficient, just ignore accidentals for positioning
articulation signs below or above note heads.
If we ignore articulations,

? Do you mean accidentals?

Oops, sorry.  Yes, accidentals.

we occasionally have collisions between accidentals on notes below
the staff and longer dynamics (like mp or mf).

Hmm.  Not with mp or mf but perhaps with fz.

No, I distinctly remember this bug. I think it was in the 2.6 series; I had a viola duet with a low cis (below the alto clef staff) with a \mp that collided with the sharp.

I'd rather have the current extra space than collisions in default
output.

Well, in full scores it's very annoying that some staves are spread
too much just due to such unnecessarily big distances...

I'd rather apply some extra padding instead.  Is there a possibility
to switch off the accidental-articulation collision handler?

That's beyond the scope of my knowledge, sorry.  :)