Re: skyline vertical spacing

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: skyline vertical spacing
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:15:14 +0100

Joe Neeman escreveu:
On 11/14/06, *Werner LEMBERG* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

     > Can Fontforge generate such outline information?

    No.  This should be entered `manually' within the MF code.

I don't know if this helps, but I made an algorithm to approximate bezier curves with straight lines (and I have a prototype in Haskell). If we want to turn generic stencils into skylines this is necessary anyway, but maybe there's a way it can be fitted into the build system so that we can embed that information into the fonts. It seems that the output of potrace is entirely straight lines and bezier curves, so I've been using the .eps files generated by potrace for testing.

I would probably start from the bitmaps, because that's a little easier. The beziers are generated from bitmaps anyway.

    Well, the viciny of note heads is always crowded, and the better we
    trace the real outlines of accidentals and similar things the better
    we can avoid collisions.

Apart from removing the hard-coding of accidental skylines, I thought it could be useful for putting spanners above and below the staff (Graham mentioned something like this before). The basic idea is that we define an order in which dynamics, hairpins, textscripts, etc. are placed. Then we
1) generate a skyline of the staff
2) place the next spanner so there are no collisions
3) merge the skyline of the spanner
4) goto 1

There are some other points to be worked out such as what do we mean by a "staff" (ie. which grobs go in the initial skyline), but I think these can be worked out.

Yes, this sounds sensible. It will take some rework of how various Y-offset callbacks interact, though, as the Y-placement of all staff items will have to be centralized.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com