Re: skyline vertical spacing

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: skyline vertical spacing
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:23:46 +0200

On 11/26/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
Han-Wen Nienhuys escreveu:
> Joe Neeman escreveu:
>> I have fixed all known regressions in the jneeman branch. The addition
>> of max-slope skylines changes slightly the output of
>> input/regression/laissez- vibrer.ly <http://vibrer.ly>, but IMHO it looks
>> better now (the ties aren't quite so close together).
>>
>> I haven't yet made max-slope configurable or incorporated Erik's
>> suggestion for increasing horizontal distance in skylines.
>>
>> Are there any objections for me to merge the patch to HEAD?
>
> No, please go ahead.

out of curiosity, I've pulled your patch and put it into master.

Some remarks:

- I'm missing the input/regression test file showing the new goodies,
   as well as the NEWS entry

I've committed a regression test and a NEWS entry, but only for the outside-staff placement, not for the skyline spacing. I attach a regression test for the skyline-spacing but it doesn't work when I put it in input/regression because skyline-spacing is only relevant in lilypond, not lilypond-book. What should I do with this?

- on a random sample (mozart horn concerto), the skyline stuff looks
   working. However, should we increase the default
   padding/skyline-padding to improve appearance (see mozart concerto,
   page 1, bar 68, forte and beam being close)?

I don't know, it looks OK to me. I've attached a snip from the png, what do other people think? Should the padding be increased and, if so, by how much?