\column and baseline-skip

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: \column and baseline-skip
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:39:09 +0100 (CET)

Currently, it's *very* tedious to get various baseline-skip values --
in define-markup-commands.scm there is a small, innocent comment:

  ;; TODO: should extract baseline-skip from each argument somehow..

It took me a long time to find out how to get vertical spacing like this:

                 foofoofoo
                                                < baseline-skip=2
             bar bar bar bar bar

                                                < baseline-skip=4

                   foofoo
                                                < baseline-skip=3

                bar bar bar

using this code:

  \override #'(baseline-skip . 2)
  \column {
    \fill-line { "foofoofoo" }
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 4)
    \column {
      \fill-line { "bar bar bar bar bar" }
      \override #'(baseline-skip . 3)
      \column {
        \fill-line { "foofoo" }
        \fill-line { "bar bar bar" }
    }
  }

My question: Is there an easier way to do than nesting ad infinitum?
Otherwise, you should give an example in the docs...

    Werner