Re: There no ligatures in Kievan notation (was Re: Kievan "hatchet" note

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: There no ligatures in Kievan notation (was Re: Kievan "hatchet" notes for lilypond?)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:00:07 +0100

Juergen Reuter escreveu:
> I am not sure what is the latest state of incorporating new glyphs into
> lily; so far, we used to have to design glyphs by manually writing
> Metafont code, which may result in high-quality glyphs, but is also an
> extremely time-consuming process.  But nowadays, lily supports a couple
> of font formats.  Maybe there is a simpler way of getting font
> characters into lily, e.g. by scanning + tracing them?
>
> Han-Wen, Werner, what do you think?

I think that Metafont is stil the way to go, otherwise the glyphs
won't scale well across different staff sizes. Also, having the glyphs
in a separate font with another format greatly complicates
integration, and therefor testing. The result would be that this
feature will be broken quickly and easily.

> In any case, I guess you would at least need to have high-resolution
> scans of hand-writings or printings (which should be sufficiently old in
> order to not violate copyright laws).

the latter is not a problem at all; font glyphs themselves are not
copyrighted.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com