Re: fine-tuning vertical skyline order

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: fine-tuning vertical skyline order
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:26:52 +0200

On 12/3/06, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

[git 2006-12-02 23:35]

Consider this:

  \relative c {
    #(set-octavation -1)
    c1\p( | f1) |
  }

  \paper {
    ragged-right = ##t
  }

As shown in the attached image, the octavation is below the piano
sign.  IMHO the opposite should be the default.

I have to admit, I didn't choose the defaults with a great deal of care. The defaults are in define-grobs.scm; feel free to suggest a better order.

In this case, you can just flip them by prepending
\override DynamicLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = 1000

Generally I fear that we need more fine-grained tuning possibilities
for grobs than the current object classes (well, this is an assumption
currently, but...).

I'm not sure I understand. In which way should it be more fine-grained? If the outside-staff-priority should depend on some property of the grob other than its type, you can always just set it to a callback function.

BTW, I would like to change the default naming from `8va bassa' to
`8ba' since it's shorter.  Objections?

I seem to recall (although I don't have a reference) that '8vb' is a common abbreviation