Re: git patch

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: git patch
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 01:22:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival escreveu:
> > Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >> This is interesting. There has been lots of discussion on the git
> >> mailing list, about git being hard to understand, but -it being a
> >> developer's list- little data from actual newbie users. Could you take
> >> some brief notes about what tripped you up, and post them?
> >
> > I'm reluctant to post to the git mailing list because I'm completely
> > willing to admit that this is probably a stupid luser problem.  I never
> > seriously tried to read the docs on the overall theory of git (branches,
> > repo, etc); I just flailed around looking for magic commands to make
> > things work.
>
> This is exactly the problem with git, and why I'd like your input.
> The GIT developer list abounds with people (eg Linus) that almost by
> definition put the blame of errors on
>
> 1. the user
> 2. the documentation
> 3. the program
>
> in this order, while imo this ordering should rather be the reverse.

Linus is really a person TO EASILY SHOUT ON A MAILING LIST.

But this is part of the fun: he is not really shouting at you, but having
fun at work.

Once he realizes what he did not realize, he will gladly explain to you
_until you understand_. That is one really nice thing about Linus. He
might shout, but he also listens, and tells.

So, yes, Git is ATM only really easy for people with the same mindset as
Linus, Junio and all the other long-time gitsters. But by no means it
should stay that way.

For example, there is a new program in the talks, called "git explain"
(which might eventually end up in "git status"), to address the "what is
happening? I don't understand. What should I do?". Somebody even jokingly
suggested calling this "git wtf"...

In my perfect world, the messages of Git will be meaningful in a few
weeks, and the main documentation will be shorter, and less in-depth.
After all, if you want to learn about the intricate details of Git, you
have plenty of literature to go to, _after_ the QuickStart.

Ciao,
Dscho